COSATU, CWU Ask SABC Take Back Retrenchment Letters, Threaten Closure

Share this:

Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) and its affiliate the Communication Workers Union (CWU)

South Africa, CAPE TOWN – The Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) and its affiliate the Communication Workers Union (CWU) on Thursday demanded the SABC retract dismissal letters issued to workers.

The organisations addressed the media at Cosatu House in Braamfontein, where they announced strike action from Friday should their demands not be met.

The remarks came after management at the public broadcaster said it would go ahead with retrenchments as planned, despite threats of a go-slow at the SABC’s news division earlier this week.

WATCH: ‘It’s not okay’ – SABC journalist makes a tearful appeal against retrenchments

Disgruntled workers said the SABC’s new corporate plan would collapse the broadcaster’s ability to produce its own content.

CWU general secretary Aubrey Tshabalala said they expected a positive answer from SABC management by 5 pm on Thursday afternoon.

“We call on all workers to tools down and bring the SABC to a complete state of blackout. By 1 pm on the said date we’ll be on the picketing lines in all SABC outlets,” Tshabalala said.

STAY UPDATED! READ:  SABC: Top Management Should be Culled First, Not The Workers

Tshabalala said they would hand over a memorandum of demands at the public broadcaster’s Auckland Park studios on Friday.

“Our action of a shutdown will continue into the following week, and we will review our action and impact in the next week provided that the management is not responding,” he said.

Share this:
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments