Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

South Africa

Cytheria Rex’s Murder Case Delayed Since 2011

case of Cytheria Rex’s brutal rape and murder by stabbing, delayed since 2011

South Africa, Cape Town – The case of Cytheria Rex’s brutal rape and murder by stabbing, which has been delayed 89 times since 2011. 17-year-old Rex was allegedly raped and murdered, and seven men were arrested in 2011, but the case has been repeatedly delayed.

Her mutilated body was discovered shoved into a wheelie-bin on a field in Eikendal, Kraaifontein, on February  22, 2009, with a trail of blood left by the bin which enabled the police to pinpoint the house where she was murdered.

Virgil Sass, Oswill Grootboom, Imeraan Hendricks, Lee Cloete, Rhonwen Rhode, Warren Robertson and Keenan Lewis pleaded not guilty when they first appeared in the Blue Downs Magistrate’s Court on December 4, 2009.

National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila said all the accused in the case were arrested on February 22, 2009.

Bail was opposed and all the accused were kept in custody until the investigation was completed and the case transferred to Regional court 3 for the purpose of trial.

STAY UPDATED! READ:  Baptism Ceremony Members Swept Away By Heavy Rains Into A Dam

In 2011, the case was postponed four times, in 2012 seven times, in 2013 13 times, in 2014 six times, in 2015 10 times, in 2016 eight times, in 2017 nine times, in 2018 11 times and last year 13 times.

This year, the men have appeared in the dock eight times.

Ntabazalila said the case was postponed only once because the prosecutor was sick.

“Otherwise all the delays were a result of the accused changing lawyers, making unsuccessful representations, lawyers withdrawing, accused absconding…”

DA provincial spokesperson on Social Development Gillion Bosman said he will be writing to the Community Safety, MEC Albert Fritz, requesting that “this horrific travesty of justice is referred to the department’s GBV desk at the Court Watching Brief without delay”.

Bosman said while the efficacy of the criminal justice system and policing was a national government competency, the province could – and absolutely must – step in to monitor the issue.

STAY UPDATED! READ:  ANC's Zandile Gumede Told Not To Step Aside

“This is why we have a Court Watching Brief, namely, to monitor criminal cases such as this and escalate inefficiencies as far as possible so that ultimately justice is served and restitution takes place for affected victims and families,” he said.

Ntabazalila said on November  11, 2020: “Lawyer for accused four and seven was still absent at court. Accused four and seven objected to the appointment of the lawyer as he was not conversant in Afrikaans.

“Legal Aid was informed and postponed till December 14, 2020, for Judicare for accused four and seven,” he said.

Cape Argus

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

You May Also Like

South Africa

South Africa, Cape Town – About 100 people took part in an anti-gender-based violence protest in front of the paliament building, on Saturday. According...

South Africa

South Africa, Cape Town – A Khayelitsha taxi owner, Goodman Lomboza was shot and killed, and a woman injured in the shooting perceived to...

South Africa

South Africa, Cape Town – A Cape Town man Blessing Bveni, 33, originally from Zimbabwe, faces 10 charges, including two counts of murder. Bveni...

South Africa

South Africa, Cape Town – Reliable sources close to the investigation said the three attacks are suspected to be linked to the idea of...